Wednesday 26 October 2011

Design Production for Print//Wes Anderson film quotes.


Starting to consider the more finite details of my Design production for print/Wes Anderson project, I have once again gone back to film quotes (sourced from IMDb, links below) to inspire a title for the film festival. Although 'needle in the hay' was a strong contender, I don't necessarily feel it inspires a great deal in the way of visual direction or concept in my rostrum-camera-multiple-objects-representing-Wes'-films-photography (or vectored illustrations...we'll see how it develops). All quotes listed are ones that I feel carry potential weight as taglines, heading, sub headings or distinctive names.

ALL QUOTES ARE FROM THE SIX MAJOR FEATURE FILMS ONLY

BOTTLE ROCKET (1996)

(DIGNAN) They'll never catch me...because I'm fucking innocent.

//
(BOB) Wha- why is there tape on your nose?
(DIGNAN) Exactly!

//

(ANTHONY) So, did you enjoy your first visit to the nut house?

//

(DIGNAN) You, my dear friend, are a damn fool.

//
(ANTHONY) I don't think your happiness is quite appropriate. 

//

RUSHMORE (1998)

(MAX) I should probably be trying harder to score chicks.

//

(HERMAN) She's my Rushmore.
(MAX) I know. She was mine too.


// 


(MAX) I saved Latin. What did you ever do?


//


(MAGNUS) I always wanted to be in one of your fuckin' plays.


//


(MAX) I was punched in the face. What's your excuse?

//

(MAX) But I've been out to sea for a long time.

 //


THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS (2001)

(ELI) I always wanted to be a Tenenbaum
(ROYAL) Me too, me too.

//
(MARGOT) I think we're just gonna have to be secretly in love with each other and leave it at that.

//

(RICHIE) I'm going to kill myself tomorrow.

//

THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU (2004)

(STEVE) Don't point the gun at him, he's an unpaid intern.
//

(STEVE) This is an adventure.

//

(STEVE) Son of a bitch, I'm sick of these dolphins.

//
(STEVE) I wonder if it remembers me.

//

(NED) ...I'm just a character in your stupid film.

//
(STEVE) I hate fathers, and I never wanted to be one.

THE DARJEELING LIMITED (2007)

(PETER) Fuck the itinerary.

//

(THE BUSINESSMAN) That's my train.


//

FANTASTIC MR. FOX (2009)

(MRS. FOX) Am I being flirted with by a psychotic rat?

//

(MR. FOX) That was pure wild animal craziness.

//

(MR. FOX) Here, put this bandit hat on.


///

ICONIC SONGS USED IN WES ANDERSON FILMS (potential names)


* NEEDLE IN THE HAY, Elliot Smith
* THESE DAYS, Nico
* ME AND JULIO DOWN BY THE SCHOOL YARD, Paul Simon
* RUBY TUESDAY, The Rolling Stones

* HEY JUDE, The Beatles

* I AM WAITING, The Rolling Stones

* LIFE ON MARS, Seu Jorge//David Bowie
* STREET FIGHTING MAN, The Rolling Stones



///


QUOTES/NAMES WITH POTENTIAL...


1// Fuck the itinerary

2// Needle in the hay


In reflection, and highlighting my initial Wes Anderson powerpoint presentation from my 'What is good?' summer brief, I actually prefer the title 'Fuck the Itinerary' for the festival- not only using a direct quote from his film, 'The Darjeeling Limited' and showcases the rebellious nature of Wes' films in their "self indulgence", that they don't fit the mould, if you will.
Slightly worried about crossing into "hipster" territory and trying to be overtly cool and appealing to a younger audience- I will test it out in a few design pieces and see what mood the visual outcome creates.

Will be referred to as 'F*CK THE ITINERARY' in all promotional designs.

Talking to my partner, whom I have successfully corrupted with Wes Anderson films, and we discussed the project development and design concept and it definitiely needs more consideration and experimentation. Defining this name for the festival will certainly help in terms of concept development.

No comments:

Post a Comment