Thursday 20 October 2011

Design Production for Print//Sourcing paper stocks.


Starting to research various stock suppliers to source swatches and samples for print tests and design developments for my hypothetical Wes Anderson film festival promotional material.


http://www.fedrigoni.co.uk/

Inspired by yesterday's visit to 'Team' and a prior love of Fedrigoni papers, I did some research into their stocks, and was awed by the range of papers they produce- and will certainly require further investigation and research at the time when I have specified my ideas to a higher level.
Also, samples are available upon visiting their showroom in London... more than a little bit tempted.


http://www.gfsmith.com/ 

Again, G F Smith paper supplier was another inspiration from yesterday's trip to Team, however, it was the first I heard of them- so it was a great treat to learn about another well established and respected stockist of industry standard paper stocks.
I contacted them regarding sourcing paper samples, and they requested that our tutor (Lorenzo) contacts on behalf of the university. When Lorenzo comes back to Uni (temporary leave) I'll have a word and see if we can get some bulk samples in for the group to enjoy! A great range of paper samples available- I'm sure there would be something for everyone.



Again, another printing company providing free samples of their stock- over the weekend, I intend to source as many as possible and hoard as many samples as I can for this integral part of my design process.



Really happy to have already stocked some bible paper stock- I'll definitely do some more shopping around, but very happy with the price- will be great for experimentations.
Of course, because of the extremely light weight of the paper, I had my concerns over how easily I would be able to reproduce images- of course, it would work through technologically advanced lithographic printing- but digital will be testing it's limits. I'll have a word with James in the print room at Uni to discuss the possibilities of test prints or the finest paper possible to print upon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment