Friday 27 January 2012

Image//Scale/Frame/Format//Types of sock.


Researching various different types of sock styles, lengths, patterns, colours, and shapes for the research of the image module brief 'Scale, Frame, Format' in which I will go on to create an eye chart- inspired design made up of various kinds of socks.
For my major concept (the development of which can be found on my Design Practice blog) I have decided to distinguish the lines of my chart from one another by looking at the various different styles of socks- the longest (over the knee, or whichever is appropriate) acting as the largest single letterform would do at the top of a traditional eye chart, with the shortest sock, the pop sock/trainer sock row at the bottom of the design. This inspiration will help me, not only in terms of distinguishing the longest-shortest length, but also the usual patterns and styles that can be found on each. Ideally, I would like to work with an odd number of rows, as I think this makes a design look less forced in terms of balance- for workload and visual communiciation of the design, looking at creating 5/7 rows of socks.
All images below are sourced from various Google Images links.

ANKLE SOCKS (5TH LONGEST, 5)


GENTLEMANS SOCK (3RD LONGEST, 3)


HOLD UPS (LONGEST, 1)


OVER THE KNEE (2ND LONGEST, 2)


POP SOCKS (4TH LONGEST, 4)


TOE SOCKS (decided not to include these- as, quite frankly, they are nightmarish)


TRAINER SOCKS (SHORTEST, 6)



No comments:

Post a Comment