Sunday 17 October 2010

what is graphic design?


Penguin by Polly Dunbar

I will, I am sure, always find myself inspired and charmed by children's books, and, in particular, their illustrations.
I was lucky enough to meet a creator of this particularly wonderful genre, Polly Dunbar, during the summer, at an  under 18's local arts competition.

Polly talked to the entrants, along with friends and family, about her love for illustration, studies, and where her degree from Brighton University has taken her- and, in particular, showcasing her new children's book, 'Penguin'.

As a penguin lover myself, I was instantly drawn to the charming story of a little boy and his toy, Penguin, who "said nothing", with a simple, sweet and comforting short story.

I really like the soft pastel colours that Polly uses throughout the book, being very "child-friendly", along with the small point size of the text, which maintains balance with the illustration, thus, being suitable both aesthetically in it's composition, and for the young target market- to enjoy all the adorable illustrations!


"graphic design...simple and effective."

No comments:

Post a Comment