Sunday 3 October 2010

what is graphic design?

Tara McPherson album cover for 'The Melvins'

I remember stumbling across this unique, maccabre, and yet somehow beautiful example of album cover art work around a year ago, when I was given the wonderful contemporary illustration books 'Illusive" and "Illusive 2" as a birthday present.
Although many of the illustrations both fascinated, and blew me away- I remember always coming back to this one, and marking it as one of my favourites.

It was when I was recently watching the film 'Juno', that I re-discovered my love for this piece, as the title character has 'The Melvins' album cover (as shown above) as a poster on the wall behind her bed. If it's good enough for an Oscar-winning film, then it's good enough for me!

There are so many elements that I love about this poster artwork, I find it quite difficult to pin-point any particular favourite points. I really love the combination of the rich, burgundy reds with the fresh and youthful aqua/turquoise blue. I also really like the textured wallpaper effect in the background, though, what I think is perhaps my favourite part, is the main illustration itself.
The design is so bizarre and innovative, yet I find it curiosuly beautiful.
In Tara McPherson's online biography, it speaks of her work, how innocence, people, and wisdom of experience are central throughout her work- and I believe, in this piece, all of these elements are particularly evident.

Though the character looks serene and gentle, her hollowed heart is lined with razor sharp teeth- showing the real truth on the inside.

I find this piece really thought-provoking and intruiging with a gorgeously vibrant use of colour, and a wonderful concept, making it a really stand-out piece in my mind.

"graphic design...simple and effective."

No comments:

Post a Comment