Sunday 3 October 2010

what is graphic design?


There's a fine line between madness and genius, but I like to think that the artist, Marc Johns, has taken the great leap to genius, and there he shall stay for a long time to come.

The art book, 'Serious Drawings', is anything but, and showcase the watercolour and ink masterpieces in the bizarre mind of this hugely talented, and somewhat eccentric, Canadian artist.

As soon as Marc Johns announced (via the web) that his book, 'Serious Drawings' would be available for purchase via Amazon, I snapped up a copy, and was delighted when it arrived on my door.

They say that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but in this circumstance, you honestly should- one of my personal favourite pieces, 'H for Holy Crap' sums up my love of brash, tongue-in-cheek and witty graphic design- the reason why I love the art form so much. 

I also really love the cover, in particular, because of the bold, youthful orange, yellow and white colour combination, whenever I go past my bookcase, it screams out to be picked up and read, and I believe that is a really understated, and incredibly important factor within graphic design.
Designers, typographers, illustrators- all responsible for making something look as brilliant and beautiful on the outside, and we can hope for on the inside.

"graphic design...simple and effective."

No comments:

Post a Comment